A friend of mine wrote this. It really hit home with me today for some reason, and I wanted to remember it so I'm posting it in my blog. I'm sure many of you can identify with the feelings she expresses.
At each stage, you lose (and miss!) the person your child was, as you get to know the new person at the same time.
I still miss my baby in my belly. I miss her as an infant cuddling in my shirt. I miss her as a 6 month old, tumbling all over the place. I miss her as a one year old talking mostly in gestures. I miss her as a two-year old, snuggling into the crook of my arm.
Now she's three, and I love her more than ever. But can't help missing all the other versions of her I have held to this point.
And I assume it will continue on this way. And some of the different versions of her likely won't be as lovable as others. Will I be able to love and enjoy life with a moody pre-teen, or defiant teenager (or 3 yr old?!).
It's difficult, this cycle. This constant process of losing and gaining. Sometimes I wish I could just click the pause button for a while.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Cycles
Posted by beautifuldey at 10:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh, I like that. That is exactly how I feel.
This is exactly how I've felt recently.. so sad to watch her grow out of stages, but happy for her at the same time.There is nothing like watching them experience something for the first time and see that sense of pride in their eye!But I'm dreading her first birthday this month..it'll my last "first birthday" (cry sob!)
Post a Comment